Prepare your wardrobe for the World Equestrian Games coming in September!
By Amy Zimmer
The World Equestrian Games (WEG) being held in Tryon, North Carolina this fall certainly puts a little wind in your saddle. Jockeys, trainers, owners and spectators come from all over the world for an Olympic showdown spanning over a two week period. With so many disciplines to count, I will keep my focus on some classic equestrian looks with an international flare.
Throughout the world of equestrian, there is one common language of style and that is “classic”. The color theme is neutral, cuts are slim and the accessories of choice make it individualized. Keeping these three points in mind will make dressing for the games an easy and fun task.
Think of all the beautiful colors of the horses; white, tan, brown, black. Play with color and sparkle with your accessories.
1. Vanessa Bruno | Wrap Skirt | $315 | net-a-porter.com
2. The Great | Oversized Gingham Shirt | $285 | net-a-porter.com
3. AeraVida | Prancing Equine Earrings | $26.99 | amazon.com
4. Chloé | Camille Wedges | $730 | net-a-porter.com
5. Chloé | Drew Bijou Embroidered Shoulder Bag | $2,190 | net-a-porter.com
Depending on the temperatures find the appropriate weight fitted blazer with stretch for comfort and a stylish fit. I always take to Zara or Ralph Lauren for a great blazer. If you are not a blazer fan try a fun poncho layered over a simple T-shirt. Ponchos allow you to wear a cross body handbag and be hands free. For a more western twist select a poncho with fringe or keep it classic with a chambray denim shirt tied at at the waist.
1. Polo Ralph Lauren | Stretch Cotton Twill Jacket | $199.99 | ralphlauren.com
2. Sensi Studio | Fringed Poncho | $228 | net-a-porter.com
3. Veronica Beard | Mills Embroidered Tee | $120 | net-a-porter.com
4. Missoni | Metallic Fringed Wrap | $790 | net-a-porter.com
5. Balenciaga | Cotton-Chambray Shirt | $895 | net-a-porter.com
Fitted denim with stretch or riding pants are a perfect choice for all shapes. Nothing is more chic than a white fitted jean year round but if your not comfortable in white stick to a dark denim with a great fit.
1. Madewell | High-Rise Stretch Jeans | $135 | net-a-porter.com
2. Noel Asmar Equestrian | Classic Breech | $240 | net-a-porter.com
3. Chloé | Cropped Crepe Pants | $1,095 | net-a-porter.com
4. Escada | J519 Jeans | $695 | net-a-porter.com
Yes please! Nothing says “Grand Prix” like a well-fitted dress. Take a look at photos of Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle for inspiration. Opt for a flowing shirt-dress in a linen or cotton for comfort. Perhaps a fun print wrap dress or romper if you are looking for a more youthful look. Lilly Pulitzer is my go-to for great a wrap dress or romper that travels and wears well.
1. Saloni | Olivia Dress | $650 | shopbop.com
2. Michael Kors | Pleated Polka-Dot Dress | $1,395 | net-a-porter.com
3. Lilly Pulitzer | Karlie Wrap Romper (5 Colors) | $178 | lillypulitzer.com
4. Apiece Apart | Anichka Midi Dress | $320 | net-a-porter.com
5. Evi Grintela | Valerie Maxi Dress | $520 | net-a-porter.com
The #1 goal here is comfort. If you love boots this is your moment, wear them over your fitted jean. If temps are not in favor of boots than slide into something a little cooler like the Gucci Princetown slipper, the horse bit detail is perfect for the occasion. There is always the option to try an updated platform sneaker , they go nicely with the fitted jean option.
1. Isabel Marant | Lamsy Cap-Toe Boots | $1,350 | net-a-porter.com
2. Sigerson Morrison | Trya Western Boots | $495 | bloomingdales.com
3. Gucci | Princetown Slippers (19 colors) | $790-$950 | net-a-porter.com
4. Sperry | Sky Sail Platform Sneakers | $61 | shopbop.com
5. Joei | Dabnis Platform Sneakers | $208.60 | shopbop.com
Yes Please! Time to show off your personal style. Let’s start at the top, a hat. You will need one if you will be in the sun all day. A Panama hat in a classic cream or a Stetson “Stratoliner” felt fedora is just the right size not to block the view of the other spectators behind you.
1. Rag & Bone | Lacey Wide Rim Panama Hat | $147.50 | shopbop.com
2. Lola Hats | Fretwork Fedora | $395 | barneys.com
3. Stetson | Stratolina Fur Felt Hat | $175 | amazon.com
4. Rag & Bone | Panama Hat | $230 | bloomingdales.com
Whether you like pearls or turquoise, maybe both, it’s time to layer it up. Pearls on leather are a great choice to complete a sophisticated look while being relaxed. I personally love to wear my vintage turquoise squash blossom necklace. Both choices elevate even the basic uniforms as outlined above. Let’s not forget to pay homage to the quintessential equestrian fashion house of Hermès. Whether it be a belt, scarf or a bag of your choice you are sure to be a VIP at any equestrian affair.
1. Lucy Folk | Pearl Diver Necklace | $400 | net-a-porter.com
2. Aurelie Bidermann | Talitha Long Necklace | $234 | shopbop.com
3. Jennifer Myer | Evil Eye Gold, Turquoise & Diamond Necklace | $5,850 | net-a-porter.com
4. Jennifer Meyer | Diamond & Turquoise Earrings | $2,550 | net-a-porter.com
5. Anni Lu | Baroque Pearl Shell Earrings | $390 | barneys.com